Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Rain and Curry

January 20th

Oh man, I’m pretty full right now. I mean with life, not food. Although I think I’ve finally found nutritional happiness over here J Hello curry Thursdays at the pub!

Ugh. On a totally unrelated note, I reread some of my earlier entries and found a bunch of errors/bad formatting stuff. I’m sorry about those. I need a copy editor and seeing as I don’t have the money to pay Mel or Flynn…I look like a bad writer and the nerdy English major inside of me dies a little death whenever I catch the mistakes.

It’s been weird weather here. It changes almost on the hour. Two days ago I could have worn shorts, but then today it was cold and damp and even the Welsh kids were sad. Oh well. I did do laundry. NPH would be proud.

I’m learning a lot about bureaucracy over here. You thought the UK dwellers were good at queuing? You have no idea. They have been here for 2000 years, and they have been piling up laws, committees, forms, and bureaus since then. Everywhere I go I fill out a form. Go to a store? Fill out a form. Go to the Christian Student Union? Fill out a form. Try to get a date? Fill out a form. There’s a scene in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy where Arthur Dent is trying to save the woman he loves by standing in line, filling out forms, and talking with these dull and sort of scabby creatures called Vogons. Read it, or watch it. That’s my life. Only I have no woman I love or galaxy to save. But the ultimate answer is most definitely 42.

I’ve been thinking a lot about identity lately. At church they’re doing a series on what it means to be an outsider/living as individuals in western society/the early church. In class we’ve been talking about man’s estrangement with the world, each other and himself/identity/purpose. I’ve been thinking about who I am, American/woman/adult/kid/Christian/young/shy/loud/angsty/moreblogtagshere/writer/need a job soon. I feel really free, but I feel the future looming. Or brightly shining? I didn’t mean to sound all gloomsday.

That is all J Soccer and clubbing stories soon maybe?

3 comments:

Natalie said...

i appreciate the linkage.

Madeline said...

mmm, clubbing :)
also, you're allowed to get a job with the "visa" you have? I wasn't, lame.

Unknown said...

oh sarah, i love copy editing so much i would do it for free. and i love that you tagged me. i also love your goals. you are wonderful.

Post a Comment