Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 1 & Day 2

January 3rd

First day here. I’m so overwhelmed. I’ve had next to no sleep, and I’m in a new country, at a new school, with new people. I’m also unbelievably homesick and desperately want to go home. However, if I dwell on that I’ll never make to the end of this week. I really like my roommate, and several of the other American international students, but many of them are so different from my friends at home, it’s kind of alienating. The UK is so strange. Tonight people were watching this dart match like it was the super bowl. It was the world championship, but I’m told the British love anything they can bet on. So weird. My dorm/flat is different than I thought but okay, and so far the people have been really warm and nice. Pubs are awesome, they’re like what bars should be. Everything here is so old though. Today we went to a Walgreens type store, but the building was built in 1517. We then past a dance club that shared a wall with a roman ruin. I couldn’t wrap my head around that. Well. I’m exhausted and need to sleep. The countryside was lovely, and the children here all make me think of The Holiday.

January 4th

Today was much better. We had orientation and class placement and a whole bunch of things. I live in an apartment right next to campus and it’s lovely. I’m sharing a room with Morgan, who’s form North Carolina, and Hannah who’s from the UK. We have a kitchen where everything is in these weird mini sizes, (I’ve never seen a mini oven before. So strange) and a bathroom where everything is abnormally tall. I have to cook for myself, so today I bought food at the café and made peanut butter and jelly J.

My classes will be cool I think. I’m taking Shakespeare, Absurdism, Victorian Lit. and Varieties of Writing in May. I’m for sure staying here until June now and flying back and forth for Heather’s graduation. I really like the adults I’ve met here. They’re warm and kind and answer loads of questions. It also has been beautiful weather wise. Frigid but beautiful. It’s sunny but so cold. I think the dampness cuts through clothes in a way that’s different from Spokane. Our room was so cold last night, Morgan and I both wore like three layers so bed. However, tonight I am armed with an electric blanket, so ha. Take that stupid radiator.

Also, chocolate here makes up for a lot of problems J I guess attitude is everything, and with a little sleep and some food and my new attitude, things will continue to look sunnier.

I hope to take pictures soon. I’ll have them up for sure by the end of the week. Tomorrow I start classes and real life here. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Madeline said...

I'm so happy for you! I know that I felt like that my first few days, I wondered why I was there, but after less than a week, my outlook had totally changed. Just pretend you have a "can do" attitude, and you will get one, and then nothing can stop you!

Laura said...

Hooray for orientation! I am glad that the people you are meeting seem pretty cool. I am sure it is really scary to be over there and know you'll be there for quite a while, but I think you're really brave for doing it, and I know you will grow so much through this experience. (I won't lie- I kinda hope that one of the ways you grow is that you become a huge fan of darts...) You're great God-sis! :)

Natalie said...

glad you made it!

Kevin said...

Hey-O!!

(Good luck!)

Post a Comment